Advice for European (EU, EEA or Swiss) nationals living in the UK

European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)

The United Kingdom officially left the European Union on 31st January 2020, and we have been in a ‘transition period’ which came to an end on 31st December 2020.

European (EU, EEA or Swiss) nationals living in the UK before 31 December 2020 who wish to continue to live in the UK after that date will need to apply to the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) by 30th June 2021 to retain their rights under UK immigration law.

If you do not apply you risk losing your entitlement to benefits, as well as being able to access certain services within the UK for free.

(You do not have to apply if you have already been granted ‘indefinite leave to remain’ or another permanent residence document, or if you have become a British Citizen. Family members who do not hold UK citizenship or permanent residence documents should register for the EUSS)

When you make an application to the EUSS, you will be given either Settled status or Pre settled status, you will not be asked to choose which status you’re applying for. Which status you get depends on how long you’ve been living in the UK when you apply. Your rights will be different depending on which status you get and when you started living in the UK.

For further information and information on how to apply to the EUSS please go to:

It is free to apply, and you can apply online, you can also download the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app on a smartphone to speed up your application.

If you have any difficulties applying to the EUSS, you can contact the EU Settlement Resolution Centre on 0300 123 7379.